Is it Normal?
Yes. Insomnia during pregnancy is very common especially during the first trimester when the women are going through the initial changes. The body at the start of the pregnancy are still adapting to the physical, mental and hormonal changes it undergoes which could often lead to discomfort and insomnia.
Causes of Insomnia during Pregnancy – What cause the sleepless nights?
Insomnia during pregnancy is caused due to various issues which might prove to be a hindrance in the ability of a woman to get proper sleep. These causes range from nightly discomfort to various bodily changes which might be a result of pregnancy. Some of the most common causes of insomnia during pregnancy are as follows:
- Night Time Distress: The constant need to go to the bathroom at night accompanies a woman during the pregnancy especially during the first trimester of her pregnancy.
- Excessive Sleepiness: Women during their pregnancies often feel the need to sleep a lot. This causes them to often sleep during the day. As a result, their sleep requirement is fulfilled in the day and they find it hard to sleep at night.
- Physical Distress: Pregnant women often suffer from physical distress such as body aches, headaches and most commonly cramps. These problems often keep women awake during the night when they are pregnant.
- Physiological Distress: Women often face physiological issues such as heartburn and sinus congestions during their pregnancy. These also contribute towards insomnia during the night for pregnant women.
- Emotional Distress: Anxiety and worrying about the baby’s well-being is something which plagues every pregnant woman. Pregnant women might face sleepless nights due to these issues.
Treatment and Cures – What can help?
Insomnia during pregnancy might be very distressing but is nothing to be extremely alarmed about. With some tips, natural remedies and change in sleeping arrangements, it becomes an issue which is very easy to tackle. Here are some suggested and prescribed remedies which you might find useful for those who are plagued with insomnia during their pregnancy days.
- An uncomfortable mattress or lack of sufficient pillows might be one of the things causing insomnia. Pregnant women feel discomfort in their lower back at times which keeps them awake. Supporting that area with soft pillows or cushions might help in enabling proper sleep. Changing the mattress to a more comfortable one could also help in solving insomnia.
- Aromatherapy is something which helps a lot of pregnant women get proper sleep. Oils like lavender, chamomile and ylang-ylang help. The best part of aromatherapy is that it is completely natural; however it should not be overdone.
- Muscle relaxation techniques are often prescribed by doctors to help pregnant women to fall into a relaxed sleeping pattern.
- Forming a sleep ritual which involves a warm bath while playing some soft, soothing music is a good way to wind down after a day. It also helps in relaxing you as well as your baby and ensures a good night’s sleep. Reading an interesting book and sipping some warm chamomile tea also helps.