In order to know the most viable treatments for snoring, it is imperative to know what exactly it is and how is it caused. Snoring is a noise emitted when a person is in the deep stages of sleeping. It occurs due to the blockage of air passage which does not allow air to pass through completely. When a person is fast asleep, their airways tend to relax and narrow down. When the person continuously breathes in and breathes out, the air gets blocked in the air passage and collides with the throat tissues. This collision of air makes the throat tissues to vibrate. Thus, the person snores.
There are various factors that cause a person to snore and some of the major ones are as follows:
- Age: As the person gets older, the person is likely to become a snorer.
- Smoking: A person who smokes is at a very high risk of snoring as smoking effects breathing problems.
- Consumption of Alcohol: It is known that alcohol plays a role in helping the air passage to relax.
- Sleeping Position of a Person: Uncomfortable sleeping positions cause snoring as well.
- Irregular Sleeping Pattern: This factor also leads to a very unhealthy lifestyle and state of mind.
- Consumption of Sleeping Pills and Sedatives
Although, there are not enough medications that can cure snoring and surgeries are only considered in very rare cases, one must not be disheartened. Snoring is something which can be controlled through treatment methods and natural remedies.
Treatments for Snoring
- One can opt for CPAP treatment or can adapt to Oral Breathing Devices
- Use Nasal Strips or Sleeping Supplements.
- Recently, a device called Nasal Disk has been launched to treat snoring. This is a disk which is attached over each nostril. A valve positioned over the nostril makes it difficult to breathe out, which causes a little back-pressure in the airways. This back-pressure may help keep the airways open during sleep, hence preventing snoring episodes.
- Snorers can also use sound machines to avoid snoring, but this can turn out to be a big problem if the snorer is sleeping next to another person. Sound machines gets uncomfortable for the sleeping partner as they tend to be very noisy.
- Surgeries are not an option to be considered very lightly as they are only considered in the case of Nasal Congestion.
For people who would rather opt for an Herbal or natural approach to prevent snoring, following is a list of all the natural remedies that can help:
- Change Your Lifestyle – Adopt a Healthy Lifestyle.
- Quit Smoking for good.
- Reduce the consumption of Alcohol especially before sleeping.
- Lose Weight – It is found that people who are obese and overweight tend to snore more, so try to reduce weight.
- Exercise Regularly – Exercise not only helps snoring but it also helps in adopting a very healthy lifestyle. It makes a person healthy, fit and energetic.
- Use Essential Oils – Rubbing Valor Oil against your feet before sleeping helps significantly.
- Establish a proper sleeping schedule or routine.